Date Night soft watercolour card by Jeni

posted in: Blog, Jeni 0


Hi, I’m in a floral colouring mood lately. I promise my next card won’t be floral (well, I’ll try for a non-floral card – I might fail).  Do you mix older products with new? I’ve teamed up an older Avery Elle Hand Drawn Florals stamp set with the new Diagonal Stripe cover plate die and Date Night inks by Catherine Pooler.

Colouring with Date Night inks

Stamping onto Bristol smooth card and I use a Zig blender pen with a small amount of ink for a soft light colour. The ink colour fades to white at the edges of the petals for the soft look I want. The flowers are coloured with Chasing Rays ink and Chiffon ink. The leaves are coloured the same way with In The Park ink.  Then diecut with the coordinating dies and set them aside to work on the background.


Making the background

I did die cut the Diagonal Stripes from Bristol card before ink blending (but I didn’t need to do this).  Using Serenade ink first, I add some colour to the middle of each stripe.  Going at a diagonal down the card from top left to bottom right.  Then ink blend Drive-In ink at the ends to fill the card.  (I use purple tape to hold the stripes in the diecut negative).


Catherine Pooler Designs have a set of 4 ink blending brushes (which are in stock).  I use a Picket Fence Studios brush for the Serenade colour and a Trinity Stamps brush for the Drive In colour. (The Trinity Stamps brushes can stand up and are currently my go-to ink blending brushes.  I have not yet tried the CPD brushes).


Diecut the Diagonal Stripe cover plate die twice from white Neenah card and adhere these to the ink blend panel.  One adhered the right way, and one adhered the wrong way to make a trellis type of pattern.

Arrange the florals and leaves in the corner, with the flowers popped up on foam tape and the leaves are flat to the card.  Cut off the overhanging leaves then add these to the floral arrangement too for limited waste.


Finishing the card

The sentiment is from the same Hand Drawn Florals stamp set. Stamped with black ink onto one of the leftover stripes left-over and popped up with foam.  To finish, I adhere three Boiled Sugar embellishment drops that will lead your eye from the sentiment and around the floral arrangement.


Don’t forget to enter the challenge in our Facebook group – we’ve extended the closing date for the January challenge, which is a Thank You theme, and would love to see your Thank You cards.


Find the card and ink supplies here and the basic craft supplies here


More inspiration by Jeni can be found here at the Tutorial blog

and on social media at InstagramFacebook, and YouTube

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *